Fresh asparagus shines each spring, and what better way to enjoy it than with a flaky pastry crust and creamy gruyere cheese? This recipe makes a perfect side dish or a fun addition to a spring brunch.
- 1/2 pound asparagus, washed and ends trimmed
- 1 sheet puff pastry (frozen, then thawed works great!)
- four large slices gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- course salt & ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a floured sheet of parchment paper, roll out puff pastry to a 12″ x 12″ square, trimming if necessary
- With a paring knife, score a 1 inch border around the edge of the puff pastry (not cutting quite all the way through), then pick the inside with the tines of a fork.
- Leaving the pastry on the parchment, move to a baking sheet, and pre-bake the crust for 15 minutes. Crust may puff up, but don’t worry, it will deflate quickly.
- Place cheese slices, then asparagus spears on the pastry crust. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble.
Recipe and Photography by Heather Kinkel