Make this sweet side dish for everyone around your table. So tasty, you’d never know it’s vegan!
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1/2 tsp orange zest to taste (use the peel from the oranges you use in the slow recipe)
- Wash and pick over cranberries. Place in a medium saucepan with water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until cranberries burst.
- Lightly mash the cranberries with the back of your spoon or spatula to ensure all skins are broken.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, and blueberries. Stir for another minute on low heat to incorporate all ingredients.
- Remove from heat and add in the orange zest.
- Transfer to a serving dish, cover once cooled, and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
Recipes by Ashlee Piper
Photography by Karie Denny