This salad gives a fresh spin on an Italian classic.
- 6 cups cubed baguette
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes cut length-wise (season with sea salt and pepper)
- 1/2 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 8oz package of fresh mozzarella balls halved
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large English cucumber quartered lengthwise, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- Reduced balsamic*
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Arrange bread cubes in a single-layer on pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Toast in oven for 10 to 12 minutes, tossing once, until evenly browned.
- Meanwhile, put tomatoes, onion, olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes or until tomatoes release their juices. Toss occasionally.
- Drizzle with reduced balsamic.
- Add vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a very low simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or until liquid reduces by half.
- Remove from heat. Pour vinegar into a bowl to cool.
Photography by: Michelle Herrick
Recipe by: Jessica Helgeson