This pureed soup strikes the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Perfect for winter entertaining!
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 Gala apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 tsp ginger, minced
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp orange zest
- juice of 1/2 lime
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- chives, chopped for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil to medium, add shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add carrots, apple and celery and cook for 5 minutes. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the stock and add orange zest. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 30 minutes until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a blender, blend on high speed until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot to warm over medium heat. Serve with a sprinkle of chopped chives.
Makes 8 servings