Making your own natural egg dye is not as hard as it seems. In fact it makes the process more fun and safer for you and your youngsters. You most likely already have some of these ingredients in your kitchen!
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 quart water
- yellow: 2 tablespoons turmeric or curry powder
- red: yellow onion peels
- gray: blueberries
- blue: red cabbage
- yellow/green: spinach
- speckled blue: red cabbage*
- Start by boiling a pot of water with 2 tablespoons of vinegar and one of the coloring agents for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain and allow for the liquid to cool.
- Once at room temperature, pour liquid dye back in the pot with the eggs and bring to a boil.
- Set timer for 7 – 10 minutes, depending on how you prefer to cook your eggs.
- Remove from the stove and let eggs soak in dye at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Remove from dye and allow to dry.
*For speckled blue, after removing from dye, rub egg with fingers to desired effect.
Photography by Heather Kinkel.