Whether you’re heading back to school or just getting back into the grind, a desk spruce-up could be exactly what you need to boost your productivity. Here are 7 surefire ways to get-and stay-organized.
- Throw excess out (or recycle it). The best way to stay organized is to clear all the clutter that gets in the way when you are looking for something actually important. Go through old files and mail on your desk and throw out anything that is no longer needed. If you come across a few things that are old but need to stick around, move them over to a file cabinet or folder.
- Put things away… for real this time! Sometimes this is easier said than done, but trust us-once you create spaces for every object and keep them there, you’ll be on your way to organization bliss.
- Keep it clean/minimal. Now that you’ve thrown old papers out and put folders and books away, you can actually see the top of your desk. Wow! Is that oak? Anyway, let’s keep it this way. When you have a minimal set-up it’s more noticeable when it starts to get cluttered again, so it will remind you to put things away. Make a habit at the end of the day to tidy up your desk so you walk in the next morning with a fresh start!
- Keep the MVPs and starters nearby. Only keep the most important things or the stuff you use every day at hand. Everything else can be put away in storage. Sometimes, those everyday objects are real space hogs. You can keep those items in a nearby utility cart or a small shelf to save space.
- Take some weight off the desk. Commit to the minimal look on your desk and let the walls do the heavy lifting. Opt for a wall calendar instead of putting one on your desk. Hooks and paperclips are great for hanging notes.
- Create to-do lists in the morning. To-do lists will help you keep you on track throughout the day. Make it a part of your daily routine to jot down your goals and tasks for the day the moment you step into the office. Keep the list accessible or in sight as a reminder.
- Add personal flare. Don’t forget to add some personal touches like photos of your favorite vacation, person, cat or dog. Not only is it fun to put them on display, but they will keep you motivated and inspired throughout the week.