Who says grilling has to always involve meat? These stacked veggies drizzled with balsamic reduction and sprinkled with cheese make an ideal appetizer for dinner or while out by the pool!
- 2 to 3 zucchini spears
- 10 to 15 grape tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces cotija cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until reduced. Vinegar will have thickened and coat the back of a spoon.
- In a small bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 15 to 20 minutes or until roasted, stirring occasionally.
- Slice zucchini spears into quarters, lengthwise, and toss with 2 T. olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill on medium-high heat briefly. Zucchini should maintain some of its crunch, be careful not to overcook.
- Cut grilled zucchini spears into 2-inch segments.
- To assemble on a skewer, place a roasted tomato, then a zucchini segment, followed by another tomato. Place skewers on a serving plate, then drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction and sprinkle with cheese crumbles.
Recipe by Heather Kinkle. Photography by Michelle Herrick.