Turn up the heat this Thanksgiving with a south of the border take on traditional stuffing. The cranberries offer a sweet balance to the spicy habaneros, and the cornbread makes an extra savory alternative to white bread.
- 1 loaf corn bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 loaf french bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 habaneros, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, plus more for greasing baking dish
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 5 eggs, beaten
- kosher salt and cracked pepper
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 9×13-inch baking dish with butter.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add the habaneros and cook 3 more minutes or until celery and onion look transparent. Add bread cubes, mixing well. Add the stock, salt, and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Add to bread mixture. Mix well.
- Pour bread mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle with dried cranberries. Bake 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
Photos by Stancy Higley of Half Orange Photography.