Tired of buying expensive granola bars? We’ve created an easy way to make them yourself – no tricky ingredients, just wholesome nuts and grains.
- 1 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/2 cup puffed wheat cereal
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease an 8″x8″ baking pan
- In a large bowl, combine all nut mixture ingredients, stir to combine.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine all syrup mixture ingredients. Heat over medium heat until mixture boils.
- Stir continuously for 6 to 8 minutes. Helpful hint: the longer you boil the syrup, the crunchier your bars will be!
- Pour the syrup mixture over the nuts. Stir to combine, then pour into prepared baking pan. Press mixture down firmly.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then turn out onto parchment paper and cut into 8 squares. Wrap in parchment and store in an airtight container.
Some fun variations: dried cranberries, raisins or ginger would be delish added to the nut mixture. Also, try replacing the pepitas with peanuts and adding mini chocolate chips for a little indulgence!
Recipe and Photography by Heather Kinkel