Put away that hankie. This quick onion dicing method will keep your eyes nice and dry, so you can get back to cooking up something yummy!
sharp chef’s knife: we love this Zwilling knife via Sur La Table
- Peel onion.
- Chop off end, leaving root end in tact. This helps keep tears at bay.
- Slice onion in half through the root.
- Make two horizontal slices (parallel to the cutting board). It’s important that you stop just short of the root.
- Make a series of cuts along the ridges of the onion, perpendicular to the horizontal cuts. Again, be sure to stop just short of the root.
- Finally, slice all the way to the root, allowing the onion to fall apart in perfectly diced pieces.
Photography by Rachel Solomon.