Turn vintage ties into bow ties for the dapper man in your life. This upcycled DIY gives new life to that thrift store find.
- wide neck tie
- seam ripper
- sewing machine
- hand needle and matching thread
- bow tie pattern, we found ours via Portia La Wrie’s blog!
- Using the seam ripper, disassemble the tie. Remove any extra fabric lining and press flat with the iron.
- On the wrong side of fabric, trace the pattern four times. The length should be determined by the neck measurement so adjust pattern length accordingly.
- Cut out pieces and place two right sides together. Then quickly sew piece A to piece B at the flat end. Iron seam to flatten. Repeat with remaining two pieces.
- Now that you have two longer pieces, place right sides together and pin around the edges leaving approximately a 3″ gap on one side for turning. Sew around edges using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Trim any excess fabric.
- Turn fabric right side out and press with iron then whip stitch the gap closed.
Photography by Rachel Solomon.