Add some spice to your Thanksgiving with this Mexican twist on twice baked potatoes.
- 6 russet potatoes
- olive oil
- 1/3 cup cooked bacon crumbles
- 3/4 cup Mexican crema
- 2/3 cup half and hlaf
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- kosher salt and cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Scrub the potatoes and pat dry. Coat them evenly with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour or until skins are crisp and potato is fork tender. Allow to cool slightly before handling.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise. Scoop out flesh into a bowl, leaving approximately 1/4 inch of flesh lining in each potato skin.
- Place hallowed out skins on baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine mashed potato flesh with bacon, Mexican crema, half and half, butter, and most of the scallions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each skin with potato mixture and return to baking sheet.
- Bake 3-5 more minutes, then garnish with remaining scallions and serve.
Photos by Stancy Higley of Half Orange Photography.