- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pure orange extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 medium seedless orange, zested, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Honey glaze, recipe follows
- rose petals for garnish
- yogurt rosewater buttercream frosting, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, mix oil, sugar, salt, and orange extract on medium for 30 seconds. Add both eggs and continue mixing on medium for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula and mix again on medium for ten seconds. Next, add marmalade and orange zest.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chopped orange and heavy cream and blend until smooth. Add this mixture to the wet ingredients, as well as the almond meal and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredient mixture and mix on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Turn the mixing speed down to low, add cold water and continue mixing until incorporated. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl one last time to be sure all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Fill the 12 cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter and bake for 22 minutes. Rotate pain 180 degrees half-way through. Oven heat and times may vary, so bake until tops are no longer wet and spring back upon touching. Allow to cool. Makes 12 cupcakes.
1/2 cup honey
In a small sauce pan over low heat, simmer honey until it starts to bubble. Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl.
Yogurt Rosewater Buttercream Frosting
- 8 oz salted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp rosewater
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer with paddle attachment, whip butter on medium for one minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula and mix again on medium for 15 seconds.
- In a small bowl, sift powdered sugar. Add the sugar to the whipped butter and mix on medium until fully incorporated. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl again and add the yogurt and the rosewater. Mix on medium-high for one minute.
Transfer cooled cupcake to a platter. Dip each cupcake top into the honey glaze mixture. Pipe frosting over tops of cakes and top with rose petals.
Photos by Talk Studios.