Fresh peaches and savory basil combine to create a confection that is mouthwateringly perfect. Skipping the homemade pie crust and using pre-made dough saves time and gets this desert on your table in no time!
- one box pre-made pie crust dough (you will use both rounds of dough)
- 2 cups peeled and diced fresh peaches
- 2 tablespoons fresh, roughly chopped basil
- 1/4 cup honey
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for wash
- sugar for sprinkling (raw, fine or regular all work great)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix peaches, basil, honey, salt and lemon juice in small bowl and let sit 15 minutes.
- Pour off about a tablespoon of the peach juices into a small dish and mix with cornstarch until dissolved, then stir cornstarch mixture back into peaches.
- Flour your work surface, and roll out pie crust dough.
- Cut out an even number of circles (we used a 3″ biscuit cutter) and place half of them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place one tablespoon peach mixture in center of each dough round, place another round on top and seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush the top of the dough with the lightly-beaten egg, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake 10-15 minutes more. Cool on wire racks, then enjoy!
Recipe and Photography by Heather Kinkel