Start your new home garden with these low maintenance and easy care veggies. Grow them from seeds or as transplant plants.
- Okra (seeds)- Good in any soil with west exposure
- Tomatoes (transplant)- Plant in compost rich soil, with lots of room to spread. Fertilize often.
- Squash (seed/transplant)- Needs room to spread. Fertilize often.
- Zucchini (seed/transplant)- Needs space to grow. Crowd with chamomile or mint.
- Sweet Potato (slips/eyes)- Use soil with lots of compost/organics. Good with western exposure
- Beets/Radishes (seed)- Start a batch every two weeks. Once sprouted, use extra water.
- Chard (seed)- Presoak seeds. Start a batch every two weeks. Use a border/barrier to block wind and pests.
- Kale (seed)- Start a batch every two weeks
- Broccoli (seed)- Start a batch every four weeks. Leaves are edible too.
Tips by Vynnie McDaniels
Photos by Sarah Bel Gray