Everyone knows the quickest way to the heart is through the stomach. These sweet treats were made with a World Market alphabet cookie cutter set, and can be customized to say whatever your heart desires! Note: We tested both this recipe and store-bought cookie dough, but found the store-bought dough spread too much in the oven, so make it from scratch!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (for rolling out dough)
Makes 18-24 heart cookies.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and both sugars. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. To this, add flour mixture one third at a time until fully incorporated. Add a few drops of desired food coloring and mix well.
- Chill the dough in plastic wrap for at least two hours or overnight.
- Roll the dough onto a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar. Cut out hearts and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Pop cookie sheet in freezer for 10 minutes before placing in oven. Bake for 10 minutes.
Photography by Sara Bishop